Re: [RTTY] New

To: Neilensign <neilensign@yahoo.com>, Rtty <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] New
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:56:18 -0500
In a sense it did take forever; nearly twice as long at any rate,

Sending just your callsign twice (N7ZYS N7ZYS) takes 17 characters.  Adding the
/KL7 takes 31:

BAUDOT is a 5 bit code, which translates into 32 possible combinations.  Not
enough for all the letters, numbers and a few symbols.  As a result, the code
requires a letters shift character to tell the decoder that the characters
following are to be decoded as letters and a figures shift to signify that the
characters following are to be decoded as numbers or figures. Some common
characters (like space and CR) are in both the letters and figs table.  So, to
send N7ZYS/KL7 once requires the following sequence:

{LTRS}N{FIGS}7{LTRS}ZYS{FIGS}/{LTRS}KL{FIGS}7{SP}

You can see that adding the /KL7 adds 7 or 8 characters to your callsign,
depending on whether a letter follows or not. E.g. /KL7 599 takes 7, while /KL7
AK takes 8 since you need to shift back to letters before sending 'AK'.

I don't believe signing /portable is required by law if you are licensed in the
USA.  If you only run S&P, adding the extra suffix probably doesn't buy you
much.  Adding it when running might attract interest in certain contests.
Obviously you need to use the same callsign throughout the contest. so you need
to choose wisely.

Al
AB2ZY