[RTTY] HF Channel Simulators

To: RTTY Reflector <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] HF Channel Simulators
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 18:59:02 -0800
For those interested in using HF Channel Simulators to test their modems, the
ITU has apparently made many of their documentation free for downloading.  This
includes ITU-R F.1487 "Testing of HF Modems with Bandwidths of Up to 12 kHz
using ionospheric channel simulators."

This is the document that has the Watterson parameters for many standard
propagation conditions, such as "Mid-Latitude Disturbed Condition," etc.  Both
PathSim and cocoaPath accept Watterson parameters.  All the  ITU-R F.1487
propagation profiles are built into cocoaPath.

It used to cost Euro 25 (at least that was what it'd cost when I got my copy a
couple of years ago), but is now completely free at

http://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-F.1487/en

Many other interesting ITU documents for the Fixed Service section are equally
free and listed here

http://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-F/en

The propagation section at http://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-P/en includes
recommendations like P.533 ("Method for the prediction of the performance of HF
circuits").

There are tons of good stuff in the archive, and now they are free to peons
like us.

73
Chen, W7AY