Re: [RTTY] Dupes how to handle

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Dupes how to handle
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:34:07 +0000
  wrote:
>I don't do much contesting so when I do I use my HRD log and set up
>macros to mimic what I see happening in the contest and I go slow
>because that's just how I do it.
>
>The last time I tried a contest HRD was inconsistent on the check for
>worked B4 so I was trying to work guys I had worked B4.   When I was
>told I was a dupe I moved on and then manually checked the log and they
>were in there.
>
>So maybe the problem is with logging software used by casual users like
>me.
>
>Just an alternative view from someone who has been caught unaware that
>I was a duper. :-)
>
>~73
>Don
>KD8NNU

That is a very good point. Many authors of digital and logging software
are not contesters or DXers (the writer of HRD freely admits this) so
the example macros that they supply are frankly awful. They also take no
precautions to warn casual users that they have already worked a station
in the very recent past.

It is those non-contesting, non-DXing software authors who would be the
most productive target in our ongoing education campaign, so that casual
users get a good default configuration right out of the box.

(Unfortunately, the last time I suggested that we "target the software
authors", this seemed to be interpreted in certain quarters as
advocating the use of live ammunition. I do hope it's clearer this time
around  :-)

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek