Re: [RTTY] A good weekend for bad propagation

To: "Bill Turner" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] A good weekend for bad propagation
From: "Jack West" <w7ldxp@embarqmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 18:27:43 -0700
Hi Bill,

Sorry to hear about your casualty. Fifty-seven years of ham radio
operating has taught me two things:

1. You can't screw something up unless you are doing something.

2. To burn something up normally requires high power.

I have a short story for you, Bill. Many years ago, in a 160 CW
contest, I was running high power via a home brew high power amp
which was built into a rack which was partially open in the back.
Around mid-night, I started getting loud pops and a big fireballs
at full output power, thus blowing fuses.

I could not operate the amp and look in back for the problem at the
same time so..... I woke my XYL out of a sound sleep to come and "look"
for me. So she stood there in her nighty, holding a flashlight, about
half asleep. When it went bang and the fireball jumped out,
believe me she was FULLY awake! She successfully spotted the trouble
spot for me and I fixed it. Aren't XYL's handy to have around in a
ham radio contest?

Hope you get your radio home soon.
73 de
Jack / W7LD / "Lucky Dog"