Re: [RTTY] The Case for QYF (was We Need a New Strategy)

To: RTTYReflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] The Case for QYF (was We Need a New Strategy)
From: Bill Haddon <haddon.bill@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 20:51:04 -0700
 Here's a  maybe different thought:

We learned at Visalia IDXC that massive funding  is required to finance
some of the more complex operations, e.g. VP8ORK. Would it make sense to
set aside say $200,000 and employ a consulting group,  industry or
university, to find a solution for us?.

Probably this solution would involve catching the perps (if they are
domestic) and putting them out of business

Maybe something like this:
           --   A sophisticated direction finding system at several
locations to roughly locate the offending stations.  Might involve a
network of specially equipped stations, RBN or both.  The seismologists do
this accurately, should be possible as well for radio.
           -- After preliminary location is established, initiate immediate
real-time contact (cell-phone texting?) to a bunch of DXer's in the
vicinity who would provide local information on signal strength and maybe
direction.  Thus a second more accurate triangulation.

   If it's the case that a small number of perps is involved, stopping just
a few of them might solve a high percentage of the problem. Some basic
facts: The perps have knowledge of ham radio and DX operations.   The
stations have sufficient power to cause the interference and that probably
means visible antennas.

The trouble with modifying our DX'ing behavior is that it creates new
challenges for these guys.

73 Bill n6zfo