Re: [RTTY] AFSK to FSK converter

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] AFSK to FSK converter
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 13:43:32 -0700
On Sep 17, 2012, at 1:06 PM, Doug Faunt wrote:

> And he may have been unaware of the OOK to FSK hack (which would work with
> AFC on) and should be trivial to implement, just set one of the AFSK output
> frequencies to zero.

Hah!  I never thought of that -- turning AFSK into OOK by turning one frequency
of the tone pair to 0 Hz.

There could be just a small side effect: if the transmit AFSK tones are
generated in a phase continuous manner, the digital output to the sound card
will not be zero, but instead some constant DC level, until the OOK tone
resumes.

Sound cards don't put out DC (thus the "DC hump" problem with SDRs) and who
knows what they do with the DC during those OOK transitions.  The OOK decoder
may end up with a small random jitter that varies from bit to bit.

There is another potential problem.  If the tones are being generated digitally
by some DDA (digital differential analyzer) fashion, the delta-T value for 0 Hz
would cause an overflow.  I guess this can be mitigated with the use of 1 Hz
instead of 0 Hz, and let the sound card suppress the 1 Hz signal.

73
Chen, W7AY