Re: [RTTY] RTTY Now trashy signals

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Now trashy signals
From: "aflowers@frontiernet.net" <aflowers@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 07:28:23 -0800 (PST)
Al,

I respectfully disagree in small detail (and please forgive me if I
misunderstood).  I think everyone owns equal responsibility for his or her
signal *regardless of the process creating it*.  We make the decision to either
trust that the manufacturer has implemented the feature properly and we choose
use it, or we choose to do it by other means.  Contesters are always making
decisions like this.  Really capable people will measure the things that matter
to them, if they can, and the magazines try to publish product reviews to help
us out.  In the final analysis we make a good choice or we make a bad choice
based on available information, but either way we make the choice and we are
responsible for the signal we put out.  Sometimes getting a new radio may be
the only viable option, and that is expensive, and yes, we will be upset at the
manufacturer for giving us a raw deal.

I think your main point is that "the transmitter made me do it" isn't a
justification for keeping on doing it.  Spot on, in my opinion.

I think that begs a really important question though: is there any meaningful
difference among the FSK signals generated by different radios' internal FSK
generators.  Forget whether it's done by switching the LO frequency, by magical
DSP fairies, or by black and white mice spinning the mark and space wheels next
to the flux capacitor:  *among the internal FSK generators in the K3, IC-7800,
FT-1000MP, and IC-706, or any radio made in the last 15 years, is there any
meaningful difference when it comes to the RF coming out?*

If so, what are the differences?  Anyone have pictures of radios side by side
when keyed in their "FSK" mode?

Andy K0SM/2

Which was basically my point.  Discounting analog FSK implementations from 30
years ago, there is nothing you, Joe Ham,  can do should it be proved that, yes
indeed, your 2 year old DSP transceiver is splattering when modulated using
FSK.  There are no user accessible adjustments and with the few DSP designs
I've looked at there are no internal hardware adjustments either so you can
probably safely attribute the problem in that case to bad design.  Which has no
cure except to buy a different model radio.

A ham running AFSK owns a lot more responsibility for the cleanliness of his
signal than one running FSK in the sense that AFSK performance is more
dependent on user configuration.

Al
AB2ZY