Re: [RTTY] RTTY Now trashy signals

To: Jeff Blaine <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>, "aflowers@frontiernet.net" <aflowers@frontiernet.net>, "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Now trashy signals
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 15:33:23 -0500
What got me thinking was an incident that happened during a RTTY contest last
year.  Someone called (several times!) on my 20m run frequency to tell me that
I was splattering real bad.  I run FSK with an IC-756 PRO III.  Concerned, I
reduced power and turned up the load control on the amplifier thinking it might
be IMD.  Guy called back still complaining.

To make a long story short, I was very concerned and "spoke" with a couple of
hams that I had QSOs with and they told me that they saw nothing unusual with
my signal.  Now, on 20m, I (for whatever reason) am very loud into the upper
midwest when I'm running full power.  After thinking about it, the complainers
receiver was likely overloaded.  I have probably 5,000 RTTY contest QSOs with
this setup with no other complaints, so I assume nothing is fundamentally wrong.

I know that with amateur radio, no one is going to declare a single objective
standard, not least because getting hams to agree on anything is like herdiung
cats.  Or getting one of them to pick up a lunch tab.

But it would still be nice to know what to measure and what is generally
accepted as "good".

Al
AB2ZY