[RTTY] Dash vs space, one last time

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Dash vs space, one last time
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 11:56:56 -0800
I think I found a better way to explain the advantage of spaces in the
exchange.

Chen is correct in his analysis if you only send the exchange one time,
such as 599-001. Here a space won't help.

And if signals are loud and clear, once is enough.

But often in a contest, signals are either weak or covered with QRM or QRN
and sometimes all three.

What to do? The answer is REDUNDANCY. Send the exchange more than once, as
most of us do. But for maximum redundancy, you should send not only the
exchange more than once BUT ALSO the FIGS character in front of each "001".

And that's the beauty of using spaces. A space will trigger USOS to send
the FIGS shift automatically - you don't have to do a thing.

If you think you don't need redundancy, go ahead and speed up your macro
with dashes. There is certainly a tradeoff here - speed vs accuracy. It's
your call, but I come down on the side of accuracy. I like to get it right
the first time around.

Bill, W6WRT