Re: [RTTY] Dash vs space, more beat this to death

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Dash vs space, more beat this to death
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@storm.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 15:25:55 -0500
WA3ERP wrote:

I think that this is incorrect.  As I remember, USOS is enabled on the
receiver's end and adds the extra LTRS on space.  I don't believe that the
transmitting station sends a LTRS character along with each SPACE character
that it detects.  This is a carryover from the mechanical teleprinter age when
USOS was enabled in Teletype and other similar machines.  Does anyone have a
counter to this claim?

I do. It's in the MMTTY Help file, which most of you have a copy of. Do a search for UOS in the Help file, and in addition to the UOS button on the MMTTY main window, which controls USOS at the receive end, you will also find a UOS setting in the TX Tab section of the MMTTY Setup window. This one can be used to turn on USOS during transmitting.

So with MMTTY you have your choice: No USOS, USOS only on receive, USOS only on transmit, or both.

73,
Rich VE3KI