Re: [RTTY] K3 reduced-bandwidth RTTY analysis

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] K3 reduced-bandwidth RTTY analysis
From: Jay WS7I <ws7ik7tj@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:07:57 -0700
Guess you missed the point. Andy's work was with the K3 which he no doubt owns and likes. FLdigi no doubt has facilities to do testing for their software and I have major doubts that their are thousands of folks running AFSK RTTY on anything in any case.

The major thing is that the K3 Folks like FlDigi and others are willing to make changes. Doubt that Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood are listening much in the RTTY reflector. A lot of folks choose the K3 just because they listen and are willing to make changes.

The RTTY community should appreciate those folks who are testing and enhancing our mode of operation. Folks like Andy, Chen, David have done more in the last couple of years for RTTY than a lot that went on before. Us old pharts that are in love with narrow filters, FSK, are starting to learn that the soundcard has some major advantages heck I might even have to retire my Hal ST-8000 and my old trusty FT-1000D. I can feel a K3 and a fancy soundcard in my future. Maybe even a fancy interface tho I have to retire these opto's.

The one fault I found with Andy's AFSK work is that he used the K3
with AFSK filter which means his results are not typical of those one
would find with fldigi or 2tone and the tens or thousands of IC706,
IC-746/756/7000/76000, FT-1000MP/2000/3000/5000, TS-2000/870/570, and
older rigs that represent the majority of transceivers in use today.