Re: [RTTY] Field Day Digital: PSK vs RTTY

To: Mike N8MR <n8mr@hotmail.com>, "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Field Day Digital: PSK vs RTTY
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 15:01:24 -0400
I found the same thing.

I had a few club members express interest in operating PSK on FD.  We were
class 5A. I set up one computer with my DigiKeyer interface to run both PSK and
RTTY with a radio I loaned for the effort that was operated on 40-20-15 meters.
 In the end, I was the only operator to use either mode and I had only 27
digital contacts in a couple hours of operating. 20 PSK and 7 RTTY.  There were
LOTS of PSK signals during the day, but we had  20M antenna problems and our
tribander was in use by a voice operator most of the time I was there to
operate.  We had a total of about 950 QSO's, so 27 digital is nothing to brag
about.  I spent maybe 2 operating hours to get those 27 QSOs spread out over
both days.  The remainder of our QSO's were split almost evenly between CW and
phone.

What I did find is that the vast majority of the PSK operators were very poor
compared to the RTTY operators in a typical contest.  Hideously long exchanges
(HI K2AE K2AE PLEASE COPY 599 2E 2E IN LAX LAX) and uselessly long goodbye
messages (K2AE GOODBYE AND GOOD LUCK IN THE CONTEST HAPPY FD 73 DE K6LMNOP).
That coupled with really long times to answer my response after I answered
their CQ , and I was very happy that RTTY contest operators are largely in a
different class.

In our club, there are but a few contesters and many of the FD operators are
Techs using the opportunity to operate on HF outside of 10M.  I'd be interested
in hearing if that's typical of other operations.

Al
AB2ZY