Re: [RTTY] digital signal on 14240

To: roger@g3ldi.co.uk
Subject: Re: [RTTY] digital signal on 14240
From: Chris Cummings <cc@comcen.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:39:00 +0100
On 10/08/2013 07:36, Roger Cooke wrote:
Hi.

I don't have my FT2000 working as yet so could not check this, but I
have noticed this type
of signal before. It's usually Russian in origin and they use the
amateur bands as and when
they wish to test, park and idle these type of RTTY signals. A message
to our Intruder Watch
would be the best thing to do, so I have included Chris in as CC with
this message.  He has
some very good connections and can usually wave his "magic wand" at
these intruders.
    Hope you don't mind me copying you in with this one Chris.

73 de Roger, G3LDI

Hi All,
As Roger has said, this is very likely to be Russian military in origin. It has been identified as a Moscow based, 75 Bd 250 Hz shift data transmission by the German IW in cooperation with their PTT. The Russians totally ignore amateur band and other `exclusive' HF allocation restrictions and please themselves where they transmit. They have done this for the 40+ years that I have had a licence and I cannot see them suddenly adopting a responsible and civilised attitude! Sorry that nothing official can be achieved. The only compensation is that they tend to use these frequencies for only a few days at a time before they QSY on to someone else's `exclusive' allocation!

                                        Regards,

                                        Chris Cummings  G4BOH

                                        Coordinator

                                        RSGB Intruder Watch