Re: [RTTY] Courtesy

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Courtesy
From: Ed <autek@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 15:40:31 -0400
On 10/03/2013 12:26 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
The format for the best exchange is pretty well fine-tuned.  And as with
the /QRP, the more stuff you put on the line, the more unproductive it
is.  GL is another example of that.  The direct cost is in the time it
takes to send the GL and the space.  Multiplied times the number of QSO
exchanges.  The indirect cost is present also, for example a guy
misprinting GL for something else in rough copy times and needing a
repeat, or waiting, or skipping you to move onto the next guy causing
you to miss a potential mult, etc.  So we have to add in some more time
wasted that would be hard to figure out but must be present.

This discussion thread on courtesy reminds me of the Pamplona bull
races. When it's go-time, guys there are focused on the task and there
is no time for pleasantries.  Nor should any be expected.  It's a
serious activity. And people who are there needing the touchie-feelie
chit-chat would be well advised to stay off the streets when that event
is happening.  For guys who want to "try it" - then they should respect
the tradition enough to take a look at the way things are normally
done.  Penalties in the bull races are severe and immediate - so runners
are probably well motivated to prepare well.

And while the penalty for not doing the RTTY exchange right does not
cause a sudden rise in calcuim content as in the bull run case, the
point is similar.  This kind of contest is needs to have maximum
efficiency in mind as a priority.  A key goal of the contest is the
maximum number of QSO in the allotted time, especially for those running
un-assisted.  So anything that digresses from that key goal should
properly be excluded.  And that includes unnecessary exchange elements
(e.g. GL), problem causing unnecessary data exchange elements (e.g.
/QRP) and confusion adding elements (e.g. DE when it's not your state).

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

Well TU is part of my exchange macro and will stay there. I though this was a hobby.

Ed W3NR