Re: [RTTY] TinyFSK modem for 45 and 75 baud

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] TinyFSK modem for 45 and 75 baud
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 05:57:16 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 00:00:19 -0700, W0YK wrote:

>Nothing ... IF your computer has real, i.e., with good UARTs, hardware
>serial ports., or you use a USB-Serial converter such as the Edgeport units
>with real UART components.  However, many people use standard consumer-grade
>USB-Serial converters without true UARTs and they therefore require the
>EXTFSK optional module for MMTTY to provide correct Serial timing.  Turns
>out that MMTTY's EXTFSK's "correct Serial timing" is not so correct.  Thus,
>a solution like Andy's is warranted to obtain perfect RTTY timing via USB.
>
>The Edgeport converters are commercial products retailing for over $300, but
>I've bought lots of them for $30 or less (4-port) and $60 or less (8-port)
>on eBay.  Just two different approaches to obtain proper Serial timing.
>
>Ed W0YK

REPLY:

I hadn't realized there was such a problem. I do have a more or less
conventional PC with a pair of PCI boards with com ports so I don't use any
USB to serial converters. May I ask how this timing problem manifests itself
over the air? Poor weak signal reception? Or what?

73, Bill W6WRT