Re: [RTTY] ARRL Symbol rate proposal

To: k.siwiak@ieee.org
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL Symbol rate proposal
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 12:16:45 -0500
On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM, Kai <k.siwiak@ieee.org> wrote:

> We have band plans in the USA as well (without the force of law), and most
> hams respect them.

You have to be very clear here.  As a matter of regulation, I cannot
operate phone at 28100 kHz.  As a matter of "band plan", I can't
operate RTTY at 28010 kHz.

The latter has no regulatory standing directly, but it is widely
considered good amateur practice to follow said non-regulatory
bandplan ... and 97.101(a) clearly says that my station "must be
operated in accordance with good engineering and good amateur
practice".

(I don't make the rules, I just interpret them.  :-)  Plus, I'm a VE
and get asked crap like this all the time *and* I'm an instructor ...)