Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:24:01 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 15:58:15 -0800 (PST), Don wrote:

>I'm trying to get a grasp on all this. I'm guessing that the ARRL has
>requested this change to 2.8 kHz to allow Pactor 4 which uses 2.4 kHz. Is this
>correct?
>
>One Pactor 4 signal could wipe out all PSK, JT-65 and JT-9 signals on certain
>bands, all at the same time. Is this correct?
>
>And who's pushing this from the commercial end? SCS? And Pactor 4 is used by
>the Maritime industry to pass email?
>
>73, Don AA5AU

REPLY:

The ARRL seems to have forgotten how many amateurs there are and how little
HF bandwidth we have. I'm all for experimentation with new modes, but how
about limiting the wider ones to VHF and UHF where spectrum space is not a
problem?

The emphasis for new modes should be on narrow they can be and still be
efficient. The ARRL seems to be encouraging just the opposite.

When the FCC announces requests for comments, I'll be there. I hope all of
you will too. It wouldn't hurt to write your ARRL director either.

73, Bill W6WRT