Re: [RTTY] Need to lawyer up for 60 meters

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Need to lawyer up for 60 meters
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 09:23:26 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:43:24 -0600, N7US wrote:

>Check out ARRL's recommendations/interpretations at
>http://www.arrl.org/60m-channel-allocation .
>
>The "Digital Operation" section includes:
>
>"It is certainly possible to interpret the FCC Report and Order somewhat
>broadly as it concerns digital operating on the band, but be careful not to
>read too much into the text. For example, while the Report and Order
>mentions RTTY, it also specifies that the signal must be less than 60 Hz
>wide. This is too narrow for amateur teletype signals. Only a much narrower
>mode such as PSK31 (about 50 Hz wide) meets this requirement."
>

>73, Jim N7US

REPLY:

When they say "This is too narrow for amateur teletype signals." apparently
the ARRL is not aware of 23 Hz shift RTTY. They should have said
"conventional" or "traditional" teletype signals.

I will sent them an email pointing this out.

73, Bill W6WRT