Re: [RTTY] RM-11708, the "other side"

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RM-11708, the "other side"
From: Kai <k.siwiak@ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:02:31 -0500
Bill
This one is in the "let's get serious" category. I've handled several thousand of pieces of
message traffic by voice in ONE of our hurricane emergencies in Florida.
I mean voice messages *copied by hand, with re-reads for clarity*. There are serious safety
of life issues!
I do not recommend voice. Digital would be faster, more accurate, and can be archived for resolving continuing emergency and field-hospital issues. At the time reliable digital was simply
not available.

If you want to try what "copyby hand" feels like, I urge you to enter your next RTTY contest
using just a hand written log. I think you'll get the idea pretty quickly.

But, I'm sure you really did not mean "use voice" for messages in a real emergency seriously.

73
Kai, KE4PT