Re: [RTTY] RM-11708, the "other side"

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RM-11708, the "other side"
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 16:00:38 -0500

Kai,

I had more than 40 years experience with Emcomm - was one of the
HF participants in the original ARRL/TAPR STA concerning automatic
control on HF - have experience as a "First Responder" with the
local Sheriff's Office when I was younger and as Director of
Engineering in large market broadcast news operations.  I can
speak to the EMCOMM needs *and capabilities* first hand.

There is simply *no need of, nor justification for* wide bandwidth,
high volume, messaging systems at HF in EMCOMM plans.  That may be
- and certainly is - different in the "last mile" portion where
the communications are essentially local.  However, that need is
more than adequately served by VHF and UHF links where the wider
bandwidth is already permitted.  That observation is completely
supported by after action reports from multiple EMCOMM organizations
including New Jersey's ARES following Superstorm Sandy.

Again, Winlink 2000 and its ilk are *completely unnecessary* for
any legitimate *amateur* purpose.  The continual flouting of the
rules - including use of bandwidth greater than 500 Hz outside the
97.221 spectrum, the use of HF "control links", third party traffic
between licensees of countries that do not have third party agreements,
"intentional" interference from automatically controlled systems
outside the 97.221 allocations that lack effective, functioning
"channel busy" detection, etc. are all reasons that current 2200 Hz
bandwidth operations should not be permitted to continue, much less
be expanded to 2800 Hz.  One need only *read* the information at
www.winlink.org to see the list of US licensed stations operating
at variance with the current rules - and see multiple instances of
organizational indifference to those rules.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV