Re: [RTTY] question re: MTTY, N1MM sound (tone) in your headphones

To: "'Mike & Coreen Smith VE9AA'" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] question re: MTTY, N1MM sound (tone) in your headphones
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 17:16:06 -0800
Think of the RTTY audio tones coming from your radio in the same way as the
CW audio pitch.  You can choose the volume and audio frequency you want to
listen to.  This is entirely a local operator preference and has no affect
on what the other station hears.

Volume -- Keeping it low is much less fatiguing, especially over long
operating periods.  However, the volume should be high enough that you can
readily know when a signal is present, whether its tone indicates it is on
or off frequency and various other characteristics to clue you in to any
abnormality.

Frequency -- Just like choosing the sidetone pitch for CW, you can choose
RTTY audio tone frequencies for your preference.  It has no impact on the
RTTY RF frequencies that you transmit, assuming you have your radio and
software both configured to the same tone pair.  Most people find that lower
audio frequencies are less fatiguing (just like lower audio levels), so try
lower frequencies and see what you like.  And, just like on CW, lower audio
tones are much easier to differentiate and therefore zero-beat.  (30 Hz is a
greater percentage of 900 Hz than the same offset is at 2000 Hz.)  CAVEAT:
AFSK users should probably not deviate from the normal default tone pair of
2125/2295 because of the risk of audio harmonics creating a second, unwanted
pair of RF frequencies.  One advantage of transmitting FSK.

You should find that with moderately low audio levels and low audio tones,
there is no more post-contest ear-ringing, after one contest or so.

AFC is one of several RTTY choices where opinions are divided.  Some
operators like the software to auto-tune off-frequency callers when running,
and/or they like not having to zero-beat stations when tuning the bands.
However, this requires always remembering to turn on NET when tuning around.
NET moves your AFSK audio tones to coincide with wherever AFC has put them.

Others prefer that AFC and NET be disabled all the time.  They use RIT to
tune in off-frequency callers and can zero-beat "close-enough" just by ear,
in the same way CW operators tune.  They have one less thing to remember ...
having AFC and NET on or off at the proper times.  And, they are skilled at
zero-beating.

On the tuning rate, again, opinions differ.  I think it is as much training
as it is preference.  Yes, tuning signals seems easier with a fine tuning
rate, but as you describe, this limits your ability to quickly tune.  With a
normal tuning rate it is feasible to grab off-frequency callers.  It just
requires some practice to also be able to tune precisely, as compared to a
fine tuning mode.  On balance, I think training oneself to tune accurately
with normal tuning rates is easy to do and ends up being an advantage
overall in contesting.

You're asking important questions and the answers are largely personal
preference.

Ed W0YK

Mike VE9AA wrote:

IC7410, AFSK(via USB to rig), MMTTY, N1MM. (LSB-d mode on radio, which has a
monitoring level volume control)

OK, so after doing +20 RTTY contests in the past 2½ years I think I am
finally getting the hang of RTTY contesting (kind of) but I have maybe a
really stupid question re: the frequency tone(s) I am hearing in my
headphones.  I like to hear who I am working. I can?t turn the volume off.
Wouldn?t be contesting to me.  Being a longtime CW and SSB op, it doesn?t
particularly bother me to have the volume up loud (probably too loud) for
long stretches and I still have good hearing @ age 50?.but I digress.

I found (I think?) I must have had the AFC enabled in all contests in 2010
thru 2013 and so practically every QSO while running, the tone was
different/changing as it tunes in the various callers.  This is *MOST*
annoying.   Also, I had headaches and a weird buzzing ringing in my ears
after 10-20 hrs of rtty contesting.  A couple times I was actually a bit
dizzy for the entire day following a contest with an odd thumping in my
head, which I would have a hard time describing.  I can do 24 hrs in the
chair on CW @ 33wpm with no ill effects.

I had to find a better way.

OK, so for the recent ARRL RTTY Roundup I think I now have the AFC shut off,
so every caller, if they are on my frequency, are the same tone.

 This is (almost) heaven.  The tone(s) is still way too high for my liking,
however, at least it?s the same tone for every QSO.

The problem is, not every caller is bang on my frequency, and I flatly
refuse to go chasing them with my RIT on the IC7410, because in fine tune
mode, I have to spin the wee RIT knob many many many times to find them.  By
the time I do, they have stopped calling.  RIT is out.  2nd VFO is out.  I
don?t like callers off frequency, so I programmed a macro in the ?Roundup?
to say ? take off your RIT and please call me on my frequency?. (I could?ve
said AFC I suppose, but most hams would know what RIT was, compared to some
(like me) that may not know about AFC)

I apologize if anyone thought this macro was rude, but it got my point
across.  About 50% of callers ?instantly? came to my frequency and 50% found
other people to call after several tries. (Again, I apologize?.)

So, to recap.

Can I leave AFC off and RUN stations? (or S&P for that matter)

Is there any way to have the tone in my ears even lower in frequency than
what it might be? (700Hz would be nice)

Does any of this make sense?

I?ve done some reading on some RTTY contesting sites and didn?t see this
specifically mentioned, but surely I can?t be that odd that I am the only
one this bothers.   I don?t particularly ?need? to do RTTY contesting, but
got into it on lark a couple years ago and I know some of you appreciate the
MAR or NB surprise mult at times, so have stuck with it, if for nothing
else, just to give it to the deserving.  If I am to continue, I need to
hammer this out.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks much,

Mike VE9AA (NB)