Re: [RTTY] FT5ZM RTTY is a zoo

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FT5ZM RTTY is a zoo
From: "Larry" <lknain@nc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 11:37:40 -0500
Take away the band DXCCs , leave only the Mixed DXCC, and get rid of Challenge and 5BDXCC and you reduce the scheme to a single QSO per entity. That's what you want isn't it? That ignores, of course, any selfish desire that I might have to work every entity on every band and every permissible mode independent of any award offering. If we retain DXCC Mixed, Phone, and CW then I need only two QSOs but if I can only work them once per DXpedition I get to wait until the next DXpedition (5, 10, 15 years?) to get the other mode I didn't work this time? Not very realistic.

I have met operators that probably couldn't work a DXpedition with stacked arrays and legal limit power. Why? Mostly they are not paying attention to the details. The cluster can help them locate the DX on the bands and will help a bit with knowing whether there is propagation to the DX. Many have no clue as to whether they need to point their antenna (assuming that it can be pointed) short path or long path. Some can't find where the DX is listening. Some can't time their calls so that the DX might hear them. Many do not seem to recognize their own call. And on, and on, and on. Limiting others to a single QSO is probably not going to help these operators.

With some skill and determination most operators can work the DXpeditions even with modest antennas and limited power on multiple slots if they so chose. Harder may be getting the time to make the QSOs in the slot the operator desires that coincides with a time the operator can devote to trying work to the DX given the other responsibilities the operator may have. In this category the operator may not be a first week candidate to work the DX. If being among the first to work the DX is important then the big antennas and legal power may be a necessity along with more than minimal skill. Why should it matter whether I am the first or last to work the DX in a given slot? It does to some I know.

73, Larry  W6NWS
-----Original Message----- From: Joe Subich, W4TV