Re: [RTTY] Lack of RTTY on 40 and 80 Meters

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Lack of RTTY on 40 and 80 Meters
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@wildblue.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 15:24:48 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 3/25/2014 9:45 AM, Tom Osborne wrote:

I'd have to disagree on that one. If someone wants to get an antenna for 160, they can do it. I have seen designs for 160 antennas that are only 33 feet tall. One was in NCJ not too long ago using one of those 33 foot telescoping fiberglass masts..

REPLY:

Yes, one can put up something that will radiate,but I think it will be less than satisfactory and one's interest in 160 will fade pretty fast. 160 is a difficult band even with good antennas (full size dipole) but it does have a certain charm of its own.

Here I have a full size inverted vee with the apex at 70 feet. Works pretty well, but it's not a four-square or Beverage and i hear other California stations working DX I can't even hear. I've never even heard a European for example, but I have fun anyway. I do think however, that if I had only a shorty vertical with skimpy radials I would have given it up long ago.

To each his own.

73, Bill W6WRT