[RTTY] RTTY W1AWx operations

To: "RTTY@contesting.com" <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY W1AWx operations
From: Jim Murray <adkmurray@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:52:25 -0700 (PDT)
Being a newcomer and reading the recent post below I have to ask this
question:  Isn't it possible that the operator was typing rather than using
macros, hence the spaces?  It would appear to me that it may take more skill to
type rather than hitting a canned macro?  I understand the speed/brevity thing
but is that really that important?  Did the original rtty operators have macros?
73, Jim/k2hn

"Some of the macros appear to have numerous spaces between calls and info,
and take up almost two lines. The completion of the QSO would be far better
served by a quick TU (call) W1AW/x up 2, rather than this:
GU0SUP   DE   W1AW/x   TU
CQ   W1AW/x    W1AW/x    CQ      UP 2      UP 2                 PSE KN"