Re: [RTTY] W1AW CW on 3581.5kc

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] W1AW CW on 3581.5kc
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 14:52:40 -0400

W1AW CW bulletins on 3581.5 go back more than a half century.  The
color burst oscillator in NTSC color TV sets was 3581.59 ... and were
nearly always audible in the poorly calibrated receivers of the day so
W1AW used 3580 to make it easy for would-be Novices to find the code
practice even without being able to copy the "call up".

Remember, in the late 50's and early 60's the common receivers were
not anything like transceivers of today.  To many a would be novice a
Drake 2B was something to aspire to.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV