Re: [RTTY] MMTTY, permanently disable AFC

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] MMTTY, permanently disable AFC
From: iw1ayd - Salvatore Irato <iw1ayd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 22:58:20 +0200
Well, thats great to learn agn about MMTTY. Several things get loose without repeated use/checks ... I still use it and I will use it, with my two K3, in FSK. That's too easy to have an operator that mismatch something with AFSK during contests. That's to easy to get a signal on P3, "spin" the VFO and continue inside the MMTTY waterfall to get onto it, as to check which one rich multiplier is him or not. Then I should make a Mark, call not recognized, or a Store, call recognized, or even try to catch on his timings to call him. All those actions depending on what's going on and other contests/operators/setups requirements. It wouldn't be an easy task, like the one described, to catch him without the bigger MMTTY waterfall and its scope. That's what I discovered myself doing. Ears also help a lot, even on SO2R, one radio with Mark at 2125 Hz and the other with Mark at 1275 Hz. I'd started FSK with MMTTY, that's another of the maybe I wouldn't use 2Tone as the main RTTY window right now. Usually my profile on MMTTY is only one, well nailed down, no AFC and no other fancy things, FIR filters and all other parameters pretty standard. Often I have had on hands very old and not performing PC ... standard FIR parameters could deal with the 97% of signals. The two 2Tone companions decoder, I have a grand total of six decoders running SO2R, printout very well and leave me the ability to discover known calls pattern the 99.00 % of times. Over 24 or 48 only few signals get " ... pse come back later on" ... Even on 500 Hz K3 filters. The two 2Tone windows are set one and one flat and one flutter, those two also contribute very well to solve that big estimated number of cases. I didn't used that much at all the Dual PBT or TPF audio enhancer filter, but often I see other operator sill using it, event if MF aren't too tight, I men even at 500 Hz. Where I catted out the DSP entrance point for the 400 Hz 8 pole filter of the K3. The 250 Hz 8 poles is incoming at 300Hz, it's much needed when the rattles comes in. About rattles, may everybody knows what I mean - those OM with large signals - not anyway too strong but often large more than the right ... I have to admit that since the great job that Elecraft had done on the FSK TX signal inside the K3 RTTY generator I have more and more problems from rattling operators. It's happening more and more times now, since that K3 change, that rattling operators come on my signal. Maybe this is just a personal perspective, due to more strict observation on K3, due to the great effectiveness of the operations. Due to propagation condition that drive, over their changing behavior, some part of the world in between me and my target of the moment. But, anyway, the large waterfall and the scope of MMTTY are the last mile drivers for my attention when tired and still having to operate bottom on the chair. I could learn different techniques, a wish is often must to understand, maybe looking at the P3 and having some macro to drive its windows spanning. This will keep me out of action focus having to search for the macro button, until I don't learn the new gesture. So by now it's much more easy to continue on the known road. Main decode MMTTY with two companion 2Tone windows. All with different filtering as to catch all those nice signal out and inside the log, seamlessly at any time. All the right jobs are done, easy, for me. I need all the two things, hope I could use all the two for a lot of great contests. I.e OS changes, different interfaces, rigs, whatever reasonably could come to mind.

BTW I don't think that AFSK is bad, just it is not seamless from start to end of any contest, for any operator, for any case, band by band, setup by setup ... and at least for me when I am tired after hours and hours of pure joy and in need to stay there more. Lastly, why bother with K3 when peoples get too often onto my signal. Hope not to be too quick and dirty with my poor English.

               73 de iw1ayd Salvo

PS I'd prefer NFS over LM, for work with those.