Re: [RTTY] Lids running RTTY on the JT65 Frequency

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Lids running RTTY on the JT65 Frequency
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 11:10:43 -0500

On 2015-01-07 10:39 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
> Band plans can be difficult to follow when there is increased activity
> during a major contest.

While band plans may be "difficult to follow" during a contest, they
are no less important during a contest than during "normal" operations.
Band plans (or 'centers of activity') impose a higher standard of care
on all operators to make sure they understand the characteristics of
the modes likely to be found on those frequencies and assure that one
does not simply transmit over the "noise" that may be legitimate users
there.

Unlike the WINSTINK/CRAPTOR crowd, contest operators have ears and
[supposedly] know how to use them.  Learn the "centers of activity" and
how to recognize other modes/other users and avoid them just as [most
of] you would avoid QRMing another contester, setting up shop on top of
the NCDXF beacons, or knowingly call CQ TEST on over existing users.

As Ed would suggest, treat the other modes/centers of activity as the
legitimate users they are - not as some "noise" to be ignored.

73,

  ... Joe, W4TV