Re: [RTTY] Lids running RTTY on the JT65 Frequency

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Lids running RTTY on the JT65 Frequency
From: iw1ayd - Salvatore Irato <iw1ayd@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 19:13:37 +0100
I strongly agree with Joe K0BX.

I was operating JT modes and WSPR for years, when I had my fan dipole under the roof. Now I just have a trapped dipole over the roof. My radio then was a IC703 or a FLEX.

Nonetheless, from my perspective, the JT modes are in the middle of the RTTY bands in several places, here from EU.
Weak signal modes may need a bigger separation, but not beating others.
By example the major DX Expedition are well hooked, in TX, onto or too near the JT windows. Then I receive intentional QRM as Joe W4TV wrote. On all bands but worts on 30m and 17m this is a nightmare, much worse than my trapped dipole and a path to the Tuamotu isl. On any band I have nobody to ask for some QRX on top of the DX expedition, nobody. Now, add the whole game, UP UP, and smile. I am not to disrespect an JTers but on any DX expedition is the same game and nobody to complain with. Those are still RTTY sub bands in the whole world or not. I am wrong or any DX Expedition is wrong? Nahhh, no way.

It seems to me that it happens that those JT windows went arbitrarily or unconsciously chosen when it was. This at the time of the first experiments. Then some paper attributed those QRG's for that user. But paper, just sometime, doesn't always change the world. Like a path in a middle of the trees. Time to time the trees moves, but - anyway - the path want never change. Not in the real world.

From a strictly personal point of view, if I don't see anything in mine 500 Hz windows it should be OK. A look at he P3 is a must, I use it with 6 KHz span when in RUN: I literally see signals. (I like JT and the poor knowledge I have of IT. The more signals the more the band is open, even if there in nobody in RTTY.) After all I have often to crank down down the so called roof filters or to leave any QRG just because not every RTTY'ers have knowledge of his signal bandwidth. Just because a "automata" fired. Just because some signals in JT nearby, left sided, are rivaling the other RTTY signals, right sided. Admittedly this is a no sense. As any signal may use itself more and more bandwidth and no perfect radios exists. On the other side I was beated from a CWer crusaders operating for QRM in RTTY without a callsign a 7035 and from East Grizzly at 18103. This last was better, it answered with his call when requested. I had even seen another Om beaten around 14104, in RTTY without a callsign in view from the offender ... that was telling "ours mode is immune from RTTY signals noise. We will continue to transmit here because the whole world know that we are here". Yes, the whole world, but this mean us together or only they ... I haven't had the time to ask.

The only difference is that Contest shutdown in a while, all other modes often not. Dead horse.

I don't want to succeed in a holy war like this, I couldn't even understand what it could mean.
Name it, it's anyway a holy - non technical at all in this case - war.

               73 de iw1ayd Salvo