Re: [RTTY] E30FB Eritrea TrIfecta

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] E30FB Eritrea TrIfecta
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 21:58:42 -0400

I was fortunate enough to pick them up on 10 and 12 meters phone,
15 and 40 meters CW and 15 RTTY (for #300) all with 100 W and low
dipoles (20' on 20-10 meters, 40' on 160-30).

The RTTY QSO was while they were still reversed but that was not a big
deal with FSK since transmit is fixed "right side up" and it was easy
to leave MMTTY Reverse on receive.  I had left the rig set on their
RTTY frequency late Thursday afternoon when they went QRX and was there
when they came back.  It took a couple tries to catch where they were
listening and find an opening before the pile-up got too bad.

The one band I was most disappointed with was 30 meters, I could find
where they were listening and often found them answering someone else
on the very frequency on which I was calling ... a bit of a bummer.

With 20K+ uniques out of 62.6K total QSOs, there should be a lot of
ATNOs from this operation (there were 2270 Clublog users who got an
ATNO).  It is a shame that less than 5% of the total QSOs were on RTTY
... RTTY was obviously an afterthought for the operation although the
highest number of "New Mode" QSOs among ClubLog users were on 15
meters - presumably a significant number were RTTY.

E30FB was clearly focused on Europe (in spite of all the European
kvetching on their transmit frequency) with more than 3 in 5 QSOs
from Europe.  North Americans did slightly better on RTTY than overall
- 32% of RTTY QSOs were with North Americans vs. 26% of overall QSOs.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV