Re: [RTTY] More GRITTY observations

To: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] More GRITTY observations
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 15:02:43 -0400
After reading the information referenced, I wonder if the assumption can
be made that the "USOS sender assumes that the receiver has shifted to
LTRS shift after the sender transmits a space character."

Perhaps I'm confused. Wouldn't that depend upon how either station
handled USOS receive? Have we not, merely reduced the 16 possibilities to 8?
And .. if I Tx and Rx with USOS active, aren't there still 4 combinations?

My question envisioned how to set up my station in the most favorable way in
light of the 4 possibilities potentially used by any other station. Yes, it
is redundant if both stations run USOS. However, what is the best set-up for
me, if I don't know what the other station is doing?

Thanks,

73 de Phil - N8PS

Quoting Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>:

I had described USOS in the "Unstructured Digital Modes" section of Chapter 16 of the ARRL Handbook , viz. a space character is considered to be an implicit LTRS shift by both USOS sender and USOS receiver. This is why David G3YYD had mentioned that a LTRS shift after a space character is redundant. It is only redundant when both sender and receiver use USOS,

Please use that information (i.e., USOS sender assumes that the receiver has shifted to LTRS shift after the sender transmits a space character) to generate your own scenarios.

73
Chen, W7AY