Re: [RTTY] SO2R

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] SO2R
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 19:19:18 -0700

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:01:11 -0400, VA2UP wrote:

>Being this the CQWW weekend I thought it might just be a good opportunity for
>some to try something out.
>You can shorten the CQ macro by sending your call just once.

REPLY:

I really don't recommend sending your call only once. That's fine when
your signal is strong at the other guy's end, but how do you know? It
may be shorter for the CQ station but when signals are weak and/or
covered by QRM it makes the other guy take more time to be sure he has
it right. Given the nature of TTY over radio, I much prefer to see the
other guy's call print the same at least twice. Then I'm sure.

When I'm replying to a CQ I send my call three times. I get very few
requests for a repeat. It bugs me when someone replies to my CQ and
sends their call only once. Did it print right or not?  Fortunately
very few ops do that.

73, Bill W6WRT