Re: [RTTY] SO2R

To: Ed Muns <ed@w0yk.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] SO2R
From: Jeff Stai <wk6i.jeff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 13:13:54 -0700
What Ed said 100%. There are myriad reasons for delays. And one of the
things you learn doing SO2R is how to kill a CQ when you need to send a
response on another radio.

I have experimented with single callsign CQ. It works fine for Sprints
because the exchanges there are highly structured and well defined. But
otherwise the average contester has an exchange that is too long for
efficiency and that is all I will say on that (but if you buy me a beer
I'll tell you what I really think). So the CQ needs to account for the
average contester's exchange you will receive, and you might send it twice
if someone goes really long. (In fact, I have noticed that I usually can
tell based on the cadence and content of the initial response to my CQ how
long that exchange is going to be...)

I find that contesting success is largely based on a customer service model
- how well you take care of your customers under difficult conditions. If
you have successfully worked in retail you will know what I mean. I may
have to write up something someday... Let's just say call stacking was
REALLY useful this last weekend!

73 jeff wk6i@W7RN

Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.jeff@gmail.com