Re: [RTTY] Decoder thoughts after WPX

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Decoder thoughts after WPX
From: Ken K6MR <k6mr@outlook.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:32:37 -0800
For the average signal that is reasonably loud, MMTTY is good enough. The
others are better under some conditions, maybe 5 – 10% of the time. Most
notable out here on Europeans that have the Artic flutter. Selective does seem
to be the best for 2Tone.

My only observation about 2Tone is that the slight delay on decode that it has
when compared to MMTTY is noticeable. On most signals, I find myself having to
hold off hitting Insert after the audio stops to give 2Tone a chance to catch
up. I understand there is additional processing going on which is likely why
it’s better in some cases. For 90% of the stations, MMTTY allows me to react
more quickly (I use “grab the call from the screen when hitting insert” mode).

Ken K6MR