Re: [RTTY] RTTY Contest Operating

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Contest Operating
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 17:29:34 -0600
I just have a couple comments here.

First on #2 in regards to seeing your callsign at the end of the RUN exchange
such as:

AD4TJ 599 001 001 AD4TJ

As Ed mentioned, and I do the same, if I believe it is necessary to put the
call at the end, I will. Normally I don't, but at times I will. In last
weekend's WPX RTTY contest, I saw at least two RUN stations send me a report
like this:

599 034 034 AA5AU

I thought it was pretty clever actually. It fulfills what David sees as being
necessary in his #2 comment. It kind of reminded me of the first time I saw
someone put CQ at the end of their CQ message. I don't know if I'm going to
change my RUN exchange message to this but I did find it interesting. I like
seeing my call at the start of the message because it tells me right away the
report is for me. Then again, I'm not so sure that is necessary.

On David's point #3, I send the serial number twice in my RUN exchange message
and 3 times in my S&P exchange message:

RUN: AD4TJ 599 001 001

S&P: 599 001 001 001

In the S&P message, there is no need to send the RUN station's callsign. And
notice that the S&P report is actually shorter than the RUN report.

73, Don AA5AU