[RTTY] RTTY Skimmer

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY Skimmer
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 23:52:07 +0000
Do a lot of you use the RBN or some other source of skimmer "spots"?

I ask because I found during the BARTG that almost as soon as I started running
a frequency I was handling a small pileup that would last for maybe 10 minutes
and then be over. Yet I found no spots for my call sign when I checked the
traditional clusters during slow periods.  I don't normally run assisted except
during the CW & SSB SS or unless I know that a needed DX will be an entry in a
contest. My approach to contesting is usually pretty laid back and I like
twirling the big knob or dozing off while calling CQ ;^).  I wonder if I'm
missing something?

Is anyone using an SDR to gather their own skimmer spots?  I've been looking
for an excuse to buy an SDR receiver and wonder if this might be a good one.

Al
AB2ZY