Re: [RTTY] FT4JA performance

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FT4JA performance
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 08:38:36 -0400

By settling for 10% we sell digital DXing short.  I agree that RTTY
will probably never reach 33% as there will be very little time and
resources given to RTTY on the low bands.  However, those chasing a
DXpedition for ATNO or band credit should not care which mode they
work.

A well run DXpedition, with quality RTTY operators, good antennas and
decent propagation should be able to generate peak rates of 2 - 3 QSOs
per minute, similar to what they can do on other modes.  Getting 20
to 25% RTTY QSOs is only a matter or *expectations* - making DXpedition
planners treat RTTY as an integral part of the operation and not as an
afterthought as it is in nearly every case and making those who chase
DXCC Challenge/Toplist realize they may need to use multiple modes.

The real problem is the "Leaderboard" ... DXpeditions spend too much
time and resources on Phone/CW on the "middle" bands (20/17/15) and
not enough resources on balancing opportunities for RTTY (and in some
cases low band QSOs).  The goal of any DXPedition should be to allow
everyone who desires, one QSO per mode and one QSO per band (between
9 and 11 QSOs *maximum*) ... not 20 to 25 "band/mode" slots as we see
in many cases with some of the DX Hogs.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV