Re: [RTTY] Pactor QRM To The Other Digital Modes

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Pactor QRM To The Other Digital Modes
From: "Jeff AC0C" <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 19:30:39 -0500
These are all good points to make the the FCC.

I don't personally have any bias against the email-via-hf as a project. What I don't like is the side-step the official rules mentality that the interested community seems to embrace.

1. Avoid mentioning that P4 is essentially a closed communication link and self policing will be nearly impossible short of DF activity. For the most part the lesser P series modes are already very obscure from that standpoint. Not as impossible as P4, but nearly so. P4 is not completely documented, is a proprietary product, has a encryption capability and is far away from what traditional "open source" encoding methods normally look like.

2. Avoid mentioning that the primary driver behind the high speed throughput is file sharing, primary email. Keep the focus on "we need this for R&D" and debate anyone who points out that most HF R&D for weak signal stuff is ALL narrow band.

3. Tell anyone who will listen that some other countries have lesser restrictions. The fact those countries ham population is generally miniscule, or that the us has a monster coast line, and millions of water craft will get lost in the details of the discussion.

4. Anytime someone mentions interference, be sure to point out that the programs have a capability to determine interference - ignore that this is mostly only true within the narrow context of another P-series transmission. Don't mention that any other mode is considered just part of the noise environment and that it will be worked around (or over) through repeats and spread spectrum.

5. RTTY and CW ops are characterized as "old school" and the digital modes are presented as "the future of radio" and "catching the attention of new hams which the hobby needs." Anyone who does not support the proposal is against the future of ham radio!

6. Ignore any report where QRM from a ADS has occurred. The FCC likely won't take action even if compelling evidence is presented.

7. Make no attempt to promote self-police action within the user group. Everyone is an island when it comes to ADS. I see nothing; I know nothing; my stuff operates within the rules; who knows what the next guy on the net is doing - not my problem.

8. Assume the FCC will not dig into this deep enough; momentum will prevail. If the ARRL is supporting it, the FCC will eventually conclude that the ARRL must have the ear of the community. No one will challenge that even though the ARRL membership covers under 15% of the US ham community. And the rest of the ham community won't get otherwise organized meaning the loudest voice will end up being the ARRLs.

9. Most hams are CW and SSB focused, the RTTY guys are a small portion and even if they yelled in unison and with perfect harmony they are token in numbers. And because this change has been spun as a "digital mode thing," most hams won't take the few minutes to voice an opinion on RM-11708.

10. Money motivates us but we won't mention it beyond the sail community reflectors. The email-via-hf guys ARE financially motivated and for that reason WILL take the time to give an opinion in favor of 11708. Sailmail works great but it is expensive. A one-time investment in P4 and a HF rig pays for itself quickly, and thanks to minimal license enforcement and the difficulty of monitoring, the FCC will never nail us.

11. Some animals are more equal than others... To the extent the email-via-hf guys drive higher user rates of a given email-exchanging-platform, the commercial value of the platform increases the potential financial payoff in the event the platform be sold at a later date. And what code writer can't use a big payday?

At least that's the way it looks to me...

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Rhodes