Re: [RTTY] CQ WW RTTY Questions

To: REFL-RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ WW RTTY Questions
From: John Merrill <jlmerrill@outlook.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 16:33:16 +0000
How about someone dare to send 589 and see who is awake or lets delete RST
altogether ☺?

On 9/30/16, 9:20 AM, "RTTY on behalf of Jeff Stai" <rtty-bounces@contesting.com
on behalf of wk6i.jeff@gmail.com> wrote:

    On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 6:31 AM, Ed Muns <ed@w0yk.com> wrote:

    > I also think it is confusing to send
    > the QTH before the zone because DX stations have the zone following the
    > RST,
    > so it is more consistent for all exchanges to have that pattern and only
    > the
    > US/VE exchanges adding QTH on the end.

    I don't think it's that confusing. You have a W/VE call so you expect
    additional data that you may actually have to copy (as opposed to JA = 25
    and so on).

    I find it fascinating that in most contests that the sponsors set up the
    convention that the Most Interesting Piece of Data is always situated at
    the end of the exchange. Thus leaving you breathlessly watching characters
    print across the screen in anticipation of the desired tidbit.

    Far better to serve the receiving station by providing that MIPD first,
    giving them more time to decide all is good. In fact, the receiver should
    probably want this order:

    W0YK NV 03 599

    NV is the most useful piece, because it also implies zone 03 - 03 is now
    mostly a check on NV - and 599 is the least useful and gives the receiver a
    little extra time to look at their other RX windows and decide to ask for a
    fill if they didn't see 03 print after the NV.

    However zone 03 does not imply NV, at most it just narrows down the
    possibilities, therefore NV is more useful. And don't get me started on
    599. ;)

    73 jeff wk6i

    --
    Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.jeff@gmail.com