Re: [RTTY] WAE RTTY and QTCs

To: "'Thom'" <ki8w@ki8w.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] WAE RTTY and QTCs
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 22:14:50 +0100
Hi Thom and the group,

Thom, have a look at my website http://www.gu0sup.com/wae.html for some idea
of how to use Writelog for the WAEDC RTTY contest.
It may help you decide how to handle QTC's (or not!), but I would say they
are fun, and once you get the hang of it, it isn't that difficult.
For me, it is my favourite contest of the year, simply because it requires
thinking about, some tactics, and it can be fun!

If you duck out of it this year, next year you will probably think the same
thing. Entering and not exchanging QTC's is possible, and many do it, but it
really isn't that hard.

As a first-timer with QTC's, go S&P, and ask to send QTC's. This is fairly
easy to do. If you are asked for a repeat of a QTC number, it means they
want you to send JUST that one line from the QTC list.
To do this, click on the QTC needed 3 times - which sends it 3 times - but
remember you have to press the ESC key to stop transmitting. This may be a
bug in WL, I don't know, but it's how you do it.
When they send ALL OK, log the contact.
It's that simple!

Receiving them can be more fraught with danger, especially if you are new to
the game, but once you have done it, it's less of a problem.
The dangers occur when the screen starts to run away with you, and you find
yourself unable to click on the items quickly enough.
If you open an RX QTC window, when they are sent to you, you will see the
whole line turn a pinkish colour. That means you can just click anywhere on
the line to enter all three parts of the QTC.
However, sometimes the line will contain garbage, and the skill is in seeing
this quickly.
Knowing how to handle it comes with experience, and a bit of luck!

Try it, you never know, it may work well for you, and you will enjoy it.

73 and hope to catch you in the contest!

Phil GU0SUP

---