Re: [RTTY] RTTY vs PSK on Field Day

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY vs PSK on Field Day
From: Dave Barr <recordupe@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 09:58:35 -0500
Tim, it's a fine idea to encourage more use of RTTY during FD, but I think there is a basic problem that will be difficult to overcome. PSK is an easier mode for non-digital types to operate compared to RTTY. PSK is a point and click mode, where RTTY in most cases requires fairly accurate manual tuning. RTTY is certainly superior to PSK as a contest mode in regard to speed of qsos and resilience under widely varying signal levels and qrm.

Non-contest usage of the various digital modes shows PSK to be more popular than RTTY as a result of it's ease-of-use, but so are the JT modes, the timing and structure of which certainly do not encourage high contest efficiency.

RTTY uses wider band segments because we tune through them, whereas PSK segments are primarily limited by RX/TX bandpass widths, so an expanded segment would be somewhat more difficult to use as efficiently as RTTY.

While I believe a primary difficulty in expanding Field Day RTTY usage is PSK's operating facility, I also think the competition for both RTTY and PSK air time vs the phone and cw favoring operators may be more important. Perhaps the diminishing percentage of cw capable operators will open more opportunity for digital activity. We need to mentor more potential Field Day ops to feel as comfortable with RTTY as they are with PSK, or phone for that matter. And of course we should also be mentoring the more recently ticketed hams in becoming cw proficient.

73, Dave, K2YG