Re: [RTTY] RTTY vs PSK on Field Day

To: Dave Barr <recordupe@verizon.net>, "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY vs PSK on Field Day
From: Ryan Noguchi via RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 15:23:05 +0000 (UTC)
>PSK is a point and click mode, where RTTY in most cases requires fairly

accurate manual tuning.

If one is using an application like Fldigi, like most PSK31 ops on Field Day
probably are, they can click on RTTY traces just as easily as with PSK.
>RTTY uses wider band segments because we tune through them, whereas PSK
segments are primarily limited by RX/TX bandpass widths, so an expanded
segment would be somewhat more difficult to use as efficiently as RTTY.

There's no technical reason why PSK31 couldn't be used in the same manner as
RTTY: tuning around with the VFO, and tightening down the filter to improve
S/N. I do this portable with the KX3 easily, even without using its handy
ability to automatically "zero-beat" the PSK signal at the touch of a button.
But most PSK31 ops have a waterfall display, so this is even easier for them.
They just need to spin the dial to get the RTTY signal somewhere in the
waterfall, then click on the trace.

73, Ryan AI6DO