Re: [RTTY] Greater than 600 watts for RTTY

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Greater than 600 watts for RTTY
From: Al Hanzl <alhanzl@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 15:47:16 -0400
Just some random, rambling thoughts (from a relatively new contester) perhaps
not all accurate or rather, pertinent...
It's obviously a combination of things.
I would think high power makes a difference when prop is poor.
And receiver performance makes a big difference in my opinion.
I have compromised antennas. My dipoles (slopes?) are barely higher than 30
feet at one. My 80 meter antenna is a shortened dipole. My Moseley mini beam is
at about 30 feet.
My QTH is adequate. I operate one radio at 100 watts or QRP.
But I have placed  in the top 10 in an NAQP RTTY sprint. I have placed first in
my ARRL region in some QRP CW IARU contests and have placed first in some CQWW
sub- categories.
I can't compete with the perennial contest winners or the big guns So I
sometimes pick and choose a category in which I can be competitive. Quite
frankly I simply enjoy contests. Lots of activity. And some friendly
competition with some local ham buddies.
With all that said, I have made contest contacts with the 746 power level
mistakenly set to 0 watts or with the wrong antenna.
Al
K2AL
Sent from my iPhone