Re: [RTTY] greater than 600 watts for RTTY?

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] greater than 600 watts for RTTY?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 19:13:19 +0000

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 08:50:11 -0400, you wrote:>

>I hear that...I think I live in the Black Hole of RF sometimes.>
>Everyone seems to hear stuff I cannot.>
>73
>
>Thom KI8W

REPLY:

There's a good reason for the middle America's reputation as The Black
Hole of RF.

>From middle America, single hop F2 propagation on the higher bands
lands mostly in the ocean, both Atlantic and Pacific. In other words,
to work anybody you need double hop propagation. Understand however,
this is not an iron clad rule. There is also E-layer propagation and
when the SFI gets high, the F2 shortens up, but quite often, my first
statement prevails.

Have a look at the USA results after any major contest. The East coast
stations almost always prevail. How often does a Midwest or West coast
station attain number one? I'm sure it has happened occasionally, but
the East coast has a huge advantage, being closer to Europe, Africa
and Western Asia.

But it's still fun anyway.

73, Bill W6WRT