Re: [RTTY] Make RTTY Heard duiring Field Day this weekend!

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Make RTTY Heard duiring Field Day this weekend!
From: Steve Carpenter via RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 21:40:36 -0400
I volunteered to operate a digital station for my club this year. Everybody is expecting PSK31 -- it seems to be ingrained into the Field Day vocabulary now. ("Steve will be running our PSK station," for example.)

I'm not a big PSK31 operator -- it's just something I play around with now and then -- and I certainly have never contested with it. Or, for that matter, I've never even seen a PSK31 contest, so I have no idea how they do it.

But I have put a lot of time and effort this week into getting Fldigi to interface with the N3FJP software our club insists upon using. When I started setting up the macros, though, the only digital experience I had to draw on was RTTY contesting. So, I basically set them up as if I were going to run a RTTY contest. My original plan was to, sort of like Tim, run both modes, probably flipping from PSK to RTTY if PSK seemed to slow down.

However, if some of us aren't on the air calling CQ, it's going to look like there is no RTTY activity. So, I'm altering my plan a bit to call CQ as much as possible on RTTY and just concentrate on the low-hanging fruit on the PSK frequencies.

I'm with Tim. Let's get on the air, either from our home stations, or your club's digital station, and show these folks what RTTY will do!

Look for me working as W4OLB.

73,
Steve K4DXV