SD-User

Re: [SD-User] Club Calls setup ?

To: sd-user@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [SD-User] Club Calls setup ?
From: "Dave Sergeant" <dsergeant@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 21:13:50 -0000
On 8 Nov 2003 at 19:52, Paul O'Kane wrote:

> Very sorry, but this is the one RSGB contest that SD
> does not support - simply because the club names must
> be recorded in full - for example "Loughton and Epping
> Forest Amateur Radio Society".
>
> SD permits a maximum of 11 characters - perhaps the
> RSGB might assign appropriate abbreviations for each
> affiliated club, if only for contest logging purposes.

I had a similar problem using SD in the Yeovil Fun Run contest (a
GQRP contest), where the exchange consists of power plus name. To
cater for those who sent long names I kept a pad of paper to the side
and made a note of the full name. I used the .PRT output for the
submitted log (it is not computer adjudicated) and simply edited the
full names into the submitted log. Quite feasible in a leisurely
contest like that one, but impractical I guess for the busy ones.

Clearly for the club calls contest one should be encouraged to submit
Cabrillo logs and the unlimited club names seem to be incompatible
with generating a suitable Cabrillo format - has one actually been
produced for it? I guess some compromise in what is sent should be
considered for next year's event. Agreed abbreviation codes could
certainly be allocated to each Affiliated Society just for the
purpose of this contest.

73 Dave G3YMC

dsergeant@btinternet.com
http://www.btinternet.com/~dsergeant