[SECC] Planned Phone SS Activity

Subject: [SECC] Planned Phone SS Activity
From: thompson at mindspring.com (David Thompson)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:53:19 -0500
John, K4BAI is right that VY1JA can be worked on 40.  He is easy when 15 or
10 are open.  KL7 is easy on 20 to 10 but is fairly easy on 40 SSB.  I think
they can work between 7075 and 7100 so tune by there on occasion.

As for operating single band.  I recall Lee W6PQW running 10 single band in
1959 (over 900 AM QSOs)
with his 90 watts (812 final) and 4 el beam.  Lee could move his beam
slightly and get everything but VE7, KL7, and KH6.  Lee is now W6BH (with an
even bigger signal).

I also recall W4FGH (GA) operating single band 40
(not sure if ever SSB) but he did well in the late 50's
and with a beam or high dipoles we should be able to hold a frequency.  I
used a TR3 in 1964 and made 600 SSB QSO's with crossed dipoles from W5 so 40
is a good band.  Of course from W5 you have W1 to 3, VA, W8, W9, VE1-3 et al
held captive for hours on end with loud signals especially on 20 and 15.

Good luck to all.  I will spend a couple of hours between chores giving out
SECC QSOs.

73 Dave K4JRB