[SECC] Call for WPX Contests

Subject: [SECC] Call for WPX Contests
From: k4sb at bellsouth.net (K4SB)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:12:57 +0000
From: WW4T at aol.com
John,
I see your name and call quite often on the SEDXC reflector, and have
been meaning to drop you a line for quite sometime. As you know, our
mutual friend Bill Fisher,  used my call ( WW4T ) on several occasions
through the years for various contests ( most notable being the WPX
contest.
---------
While Bob is very generous with his offer, I have one concern about how
ethical it would be if the call were used at ANY other station than
Bob's.

In the hands of a skilled op, anyone could claim credit toward any of
various awards, both from CQ and the ARRL for the work of someone else.

I am NOT implying that Bob has done so.

It surprised the pure hell out of me to learn that this practice is
legal. I even called ARRL and they said "Yep".

So, when the P5 comes on again, just how ethical would it be for me to
grant permission to use my call to say, a ham on Okinawa? It's legal and
I could obtain the QSL for credit, but I won't.

I'm on the Honor Roll on SSB and Mixed, and maybe CW. But not a single
one of those contacts has been made except by myself at my station. No
nets, no relays, ect.

Again, I stress this messages is intended to point out what I believe is
a matter of ethics, and is
certainly not critical of Bob. We have a Club call for this purpose. And
if you'd like to be a big prefix in the WPX, you can easily obtain your
own.

73
Ed