[SECC] GQP Rover thoughts and two questions

Subject: [SECC] GQP Rover thoughts and two questions
From: mrcne4s at yahoo.com (Michael Condon)
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 06:15:30 -0800 (PST)
Hi Scott,

It looks like KB4KBS in the party... thanks.
Good questions...
Here is my best take on them, but I always yield to help, sanity, and sage
advise.

Mults and Qs:
"Multipliers" are not counted by band.
But you can "work "a station on both modes on each band for QSO points.

The difference in those texts is Multiplier vs Work.
If you can suggest a clarification, I would be glad to try it out.
Perhaps "bolding" the  words Worked and Counted would help.

If you (in GA) are working a Rover, he is "a new one" in each county in the
trip for QSO points.
If you had not worked a GA station on that "mode" before it would also count as
a new mult for GA.

When a GA station works another GA station, Counties should always be exchanged.
I give credit for "GA" as a mult to each in this case, without the need for GA
to be sent in the exchange.
The advise here is "send the county all the time".
I fix any errors of this type in the score run, but it takes a bit of extra
time.

Assisting Operators:
We only call out that for Single Op one person does all the operating and
logging.
This generally means any direct assistance like...
Making Contacts,
Entering info in the log,
Assisting in spotting,  (the single operator may use nets, packet and such as
long as it is that single operator doing it)

Not assisting might be...
Fixing a radio,
Setting up a station,
Setting up a PC or network for logging,
Helping fix or submit a log after the event,
Antenna work,
Digging out of a North GA snow drift,
Cooking...

We strongly recommend that Rovers get a driver as a simple safety measure.
If the driver does not assist, the Rover can enter as Single.  This is the
"Free Driver" rule.

Who can "Operate"?
I would point to the FCC rules about control operators and operation.
If it is legal there, GQP would have to accept it.
Those rules used to call out license class as the major factor.
I don't rember the rules well enough to interpret them here, you can check it
out.

I hope this helps.  We have tried to keep the rules as clear and simple as
possible.
But, we all read things from different perspectives.

I would like to see your GDOT map, send me a file if you would.

I think I saw another note from you, I will catch up more if needed in a bit.

Doing an operation in a "rare" county is a great way to enjoy a weekend, and be
a big help in getting all the counties activated.

Thanks,
Mike

Please use ne4s at iham.us or mike1230 at mcnet.us as my address.
GQP 2008 is April 12/13, see gqp.contesting.com !
Be well