[TRLog] updating help

Subject: [TRLog] updating help
From: ae2t@bigfoot.com (Al Gritzmacher)
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 11:18:46 -0400

----------

Naumann[SMTP:n5nj@worldnet.att.net] wrote:
> >Jason and others:
> >
> >Please be sue that your mail program is not doing the UUDECODE operation
> >for you.  Those of you using Win95 and one of the newer mail programs
> >probably see the attachment as a ZIP file and it has already been
decoded.

> >Unzip it and have at it.
> >
> >N5NU:  where are you located and send me your phone number if you'd like
> >some help over the phone.
> >
> >73,
> >Bob Naumann
> >N5NJ
> >Plano, TX
> >
> >----------
> >> From: Jason Goldsberry <n5nu@inu.net>
> >> To: trlog@contesting.com
> >> Subject: [TRLog] updating help
> >> Date: Tuesday, October 14, 1997 07:39
> >>
> >>   I need help trying to update to 6.12. I have received it through
e-mail
> >> and can't seem to be able to get it to do anything.
> >>   The manual says "use the TR program to decode the file". I take this
> >> mean that I run the TR program...I have and I didn't see anyplace to
type
> >> TR UUDECODE filename. Out of desperation, I run the TR INSTALL program
> >> hoping that it might install the newer 6.12 version. The results are
such
> >> that I can't run the original TR version.
> >>   I have spent 3 hours trying to get this problem worked out. Any help
> >> would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Jason N5NU  age 14
> >>
> >> P.S. Please don't suggest that I ask my computer teacher. I go to a
very
> >> small rural school and there isn't anyone to ask.
> >> n5nu@inu.net
> >> N5NU Homepage
> >> http://www.inu.net/n5nu/
> >>

> What am I missing here?  Where does uuedecode come in?
>
> I get an attachment on an e-mail message, highlight it, right-click
> to get a menu of options and select copy to move it to a subdirectory.
>
> In Windows Explorer, I go to that subdirectory, locate the file, double-
> click on the newly placed file (all612.zip) and a window appears asking
> me if I want to overwrite each file with a new file.  I answer yes a few
> times, and then am done. 6.12 is installed.
>
> Is it that other e-mail handlers don't do attachments the same way? Don't
> attachments just show up as icons on the text body of the note?
>
> 73,
>
> Dale Martin, KG5U
> kg5u@hal-pc.org
> http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u

Boy, it sure is easy to get spoiled by these convenient, powerful
applications, but those using older software, or using "UNIX SHELL"
accounts to get their e-mail may not have it so easy.

UUENCODE and other similar processes convert binary files to ASCII
characters, in a special format that adds checksums and error-detecting so
that they can be sent in th body of a text message. If you don't have a
smart e-mail client, most attachments show up at the end of the message
this way.

The e-mail message has to be saved to a file and the file run through a
program that processes it, ignores the regular text and converts it back to
the binary file.

If the binary is a .ZIP or other archive file, you then still have to
extract the individual files.

These functions are so automatic now that they are built in to many new
programs, that people are forgetting that it even goes on. Tree has
included a decode feature in the program so that those who need to use it
don't have to go find another program before they can decode the updates.

If you see an icon, paperclip, or "Attachment saved as...." message, your
mail client has done the job for you. If you see a block of text (probably
going on for many, many screenfulls) of jibberish that looks like a monkey
banged on the keyboard (but kept a very neat right margin) you'll need to
decode it yourself.

Isn't technology great!?

-- 73

Al AE2T