[TRLog] Sprint Questions

Subject: [TRLog] Sprint Questions
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 11:45:04 -0600
1.  While working W4PA, I didn't complete his call in the
callsign field (W4P).
Before I realized my goof, I had hit return to send him my
exchange.

I quickly did a Control-Y to delete the entry and keyed in a new
entry.

Later, when I ran across him again on the same band, he showed up
on the possible dupe line highlighted as <w4p> and <w4pa>.  W4P
was what I had or thought had deleted and w4pa was the new line
entry.  If I recall correctly, the <w4p> showed up on the other
bands when I entered w4pa in the callsign field, too.

What this seemed to be telling me is that if I 'work' a guy who
is actually working someone else and then ctl-y to delete it from
the log, his call will keep showing up as having been worked,
when, in fact, I haven't worked him.

I'm going to try the scenario later this afternoon (during
Olympics chitchats and commercials).

2.  I worked Dave, G4BUO, in the Sprint.  What do I put in the
QTH column? G? In post (p l m), it came up "Dave" as mult 29!  As
much as I would like to agree with that, I know it's not right.
Besides, I think the log checkers would catch it.

Anyway, it showed up on log.dat just fine with "Dave" in the Name
column and the QTH column blank.

3. I noticed when I finished working a station, called CQ once or
twice, then not getting any responses, moved on, I would quite
often still be in CQ mode when I found a station to work.  This
really caused some headaches..."Gee, there's someone calling me
one letter short of my call", when it was just me typing in the
call, hitting return thinking I was in S&P, then hitting ESC when
I realized again that I was sending not my call, but his call!

I know that I'm not in the majority here by not getting calls
when I finish an S&P qso, but is there a way to adjust the
sensitivity of the CQ-to-S&P detection when the VFO is moved?
After all, how often/much does the VFO get moved when in the CQ
mode?  I would think a lot less than the VFO getting moved in
slow, small (~100-300 Hz) movements when starting the S&P by
moving the VFO.

I know.  I could have simply hit the TAB key and should have, but
moving the VFO seemed more expedient and natural.

73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u